How can I maintain / clean my cowskin?
Cowskins are a beautiful centerpiece in every room. It can, of course, occur that it is accidentally tampered with or that it became dirty over time. If that happens, don't worry. There are different ways to keep your cowskin in the best condition and to enjoy it for so long as possible!
Regular maintenance of your cowskin
1) Vacuuming the cowskin
If the cowskin lays in a much-used area such as the living room, it will get dirtier faster than if it is, for example, in the bedroom. You can occasionally vacuum the cowhide at the lowest setting. Vacuuming the cowhide ensures that dirt will not adhere or accumulate. The following tips apply to vacuuming a cowhide:
- Always vacuum with the direction of the hair.
- Put your vacuum cleaner on the lowest setting.
- Do you use an attachment piece when vacuuming? Then make sure it does not rotate.
- If your vacuum cleaner is only used in a powerful position, you can also use a petty thief.
2) Beating the cowskin
The cowskin can also be beaten instead of vacuuming. Whipping is the easiest and simplest method to clean the cowskin. By beating the cowskin you ensure that underlying dirt, such as sand or mud, loosens. Although a vacuum cleaner removes most of the dirt, the beating of the cowskin can also ensure that the underlying dirt is removed.
- Use your hand or a carpet beater when beating. Using a mat beating, then beat gently. Hand beating is preferred over the carpet beater.
- You can also smooth out the cowskin instead of beating.
3) Turn your cowskin regularly for even wear
If you use the cowskin as a rug, it will wear faster than if the cowskin is used as wall decoration or over the back of your couch. If your cowskin, for example, is located in the living room or hall where people walk a lot, then that parts of the cowskin will wear out faster. To prevent this form of wear you can turn the cowskin regularly so that the wear goes evenly.
4) Brush the cowskin clean
Brushing cowskin is ideal for removing dirt from places that may have been missed when vacuuming. Or if the beating / waving of the cowskin is too difficult. By brushing the cowskin, less pressure is exerted on the cowskin compared to vacuuming and beating. This is more beneficial for the life of the skin. The hairs of the cowskin also remain beautiful by brushing.
• Always brush in the direction of the hairs.
• Use a brush with soft hairs or medium hardness.
Removal of liquid stains / dirt from cowhide
1) When spilling drinks, act as quickly as possible
If you accidentally tampered with drinks or food on cowhide then it is important to get rid of the stain as quickly as possible from the cowhide. For example, if you have dropped liquid on the cowskin and let it soak into the leather, it becomes a lot harder to clean. The following actions can be used for cleaning stains made by drinks.
- First make sure that you remove most of the moisture. Use a few dry kitchen papers or a clean dry sponge.
- Use a dabbing motion. Avoid sweeping movements as much as possible. With a sweeping movement you will spread the liquid or press into the leather.
2) Remove solid dirt first (food)
Accidentally spilled food on your cowhide? Then make sure you first remove the solid pieces. The easiest way to remove the solid dirt is to use the back of your knife. Then carefully wipe off the remains.
- Remove the solid pieces following the direction of the hair.
- Do not use the sharp side of your knife!
- Instead of a knife you can also use a brush with medium to hard hairs.
- Make sure you don't put too much pressure on it otherwise you will press the dirt into the leather.
Did your dog / cat do its needs on cowhide?
Dogs and cats find it incredibly comfortable to lie on a nice warm cowhide. However, it may happen that your dog or cat has done its needs on the rug. Is it just a little pee and are you there immediately? Then you can use the steps from tip 1. However, will you be there later and may it be (partially) withdrawn? Then use a combination of tips 1 and 3. Does it concern defecation or vomit? Then it is best to use a combination of tips 1, 2 and 3
3) Use a natural cleaning agent/cleaning solution / green soap for liquid dirt
When stains remain after an attempt of removal of solid pieces, you can treat it by using lukewarm / warm water containing a small amount of a natural cleaning solution/ green soap. This will ensure that the remaining stain disappears.
- Use a clean sponge or cloth to apply the cleaning solution onto the stain that you want to remove.
- You can swipe in multiple directions to remove the stain. However, do it with policy.
- Make sure the sponge / cloth is not soaked.
- If the stain has been removed, you can still clean the area with a clean sponge / cloth with some clean lukewarm / warm water.
- Is the stain gone? Then dry the area as far as possible with a clean, dry cloth.
- Finally, you can brush the hair in the right direction with a brush.
Remove creases and wrinkles from cowhide
1) Place a heavy object on the wrinkles / folds
The use of cowhide can cause creases over time. The most common way is to moisten the creases. Place the cowhide on a flat surface. Next, place a stack of heavy books or weights where the creases are.
2) Fold against the fold
If there is a fold in the cowhide, you can reduce this by folding against the fold.
On the back of the cowhide you can see how the fold is formed. If the fold is a bit darker and it points upwards, you can fold the fold in the other direction. Then you place a heavy object on it, for example a stack of thick books or a few weights. These can then remain on the fold a couple of hours or one night. If necessary, this can be repeated several times.
3) Moisten the creases / folds and place a heavy object on it
The process can be accelerated by moistening the creases on the back. Place the cowhide with its hair side on a flat surface, then wet the back (leather side) with a plant sprayer. Spray about 4 to 5 times. Do not soak the leather because this is harmful to the leather. Now that the leather is damp, place some heavy objects (for example, a stack of thick books or a few weights) on the damp part of the cowhide. Leave the heavy objects on the damp creases for a few hours or during the night. The creases will disappear in no time, giving you a nice flat cowhide again.
4) Iron the creases / folds out of the cowhide
To use this method you need the following items:
- A towel
- (tap/flat) water
Moisten the towel, but do not soak it with water dripping off. Place the damp towel on the back of the cowhide (leather side). Make sure that the cowhide does not get too wet because it is not good for the leather.
Place the damp towel on the back of the cowhide where the wrinkles / folds are visible.
In this step you need the iron. Put your iron on low heat and then carefully iron over the damp towel.
It can sometimes happen that the hair is still slightly raised on the side of the hair. To prevent this, place a damp towel on the area where the hairs are up (lace side), grab your iron and then iron over the towel with the direction of the hair.
Wash your cowhide in the washing machine or dryer?
DON'T! Never put the cowhide in the washing machine or dryer. It is of course easy but the washer and dryer damage the cowhide enormously and the leather will never be as beautiful as before. Use only the tips above to clean / maintain your cowhide.
Prefer to buy a new cowhide? Then take a look at the most beautiful cowhides available.